Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vizag, June 17

I'm in my new locale at the moment, with my new companion, Elder Bartlett, who basically is a carbon copy of myself except that he's more organized. He was assigned to the office to manage records (this is a big job -- for example, every week the office receives 11 baptismal records) and in his down time wrote a 15-page manual for future office elders. He's a few months younger than me but is almost done with college, due to being homeschooled and then starting at Utah State at 15. And if you thought I was skinny – he’s 5’8” and 110 lbs. We're getting along great.

Vizag is a pretty neat city. I was in the heart of Chennai, and this is a lot more spread out. Often, you can only see 4 or 5 people when walking on a residential street, instead of 40 or 50. We live about 15 minutes by bus to the edge of our area and 30 minutes to the church, which is in the center of the places we go around. Tons of people here speak English, which is good. We only have a vague idea of directions at the moment, because we’re both new to the area, but that hasn’t been a problem so far.

The other interesting thing is that my old native companion, Elder Siyyadri, finished his two years and went home to the branch I’m serving in now. So now I see him once or twice a week, which is unheard of for old companions.

With love,
Sam

No comments: