Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hyderabad, April 13

This week has been all right. I miss Elder Gervais a little bit but life goes on. Mostly I just miss the second voice that gives me advice when I don't know what we should do, that talks when I don't know what to say or how to say it, that calls people on the phone or makes me do it when I don't want to. Elder John is a really good guy, friendly, smart, hardworking, but he just doesn't have a lot of experience. Again, life goes on and I'm trying to be the best companion and help Elder John learn as much as I can.

What's new? There's the small things: the summer is making us sweat and our bike tires go flat quickly. My diet has changed - I'm now eating tiffins again (masala dosai, parotta, etc), I love eating them but Elder Gervais put his executive veto on it. Without external motivation, my morning exercises have slackened in intensity. I need to reverse that. We realized we had no idea what to do with the wheat bran that had been sitting in our freezer for 4 months so we threw it out this morning. I burned some brownies last Wednesday, I put in too much butter and when I put in the knife it came out buttery so I left it in the oven. (doh!)

There has been a reallocation of the small tasks. I keep forgetting to put the geyser on in the morning so I get cold showers. I do remember to put the phone on the charger though. We have a padlock for our door; Elder John takes care of locking and unlocking the door and keeping the lock in a predictable place. I usually boil the eggs in the morning (and turn the heat up gradually so they don't crack). I am doing a good job of making sure all the people who we need to call during the day (follow up with things they said they'd do, schedule appointments, etc), which is good.

Love,
Sam

No comments: