Sunday, September 05, 2010

Coimbatore, August 16

So bad news and good news.

The good news is that our preparation days changed to Monday which will be more calm and peaceful (Sunday is our most busy day) and also I get to write twice this week.

The bad news is that I forgot to tell you last week. So I have to wait another week to hear how you are :( sorry...

I got to spend a couple days with Elder Stephen, my first companion in Hyderabad. He is in Erode, which is a couple hours away from Coimbatore, and Elder Riley (=my companion) went to Erode to go on exchange with Elder Stephen's companion. So I got to be back with Elder Stephen.

We didn't get along very well when we were companions, and since then both of us have been trying to mend and repair our relationship. It was good to be back together because we had a chance to do that -- saying hi and catching up is one thing but living and work together is another. That was mostly a success. We just did the small things like exchanging ideas when planning, laying on our beds with the lights out and talking. Another small thing: making jokes.

One of his main problems with us was that I didn't get his jokes, which usually involved saying something that didn't make sense or was obviously untrue, and he didn't get my jokes, which usually involved making up hypothetical situations. And then on Friday I made a joke like the ones he makes. It's 10:30 so we're about to turn off the lights. Elder Stephen is in a new apartment so he's a bit confused. "Where's the light," he asks me. I almost flip the light switch but then suddenly an idea pops to mind so I point at the light. He looks at the light confusedly and scans his eyes around a little bit for the switch, before he gets it. He laughs, "Elder Bhagwat made a joke," he says in half amusement, half amazement. It's a small thing but I was very happy about it.

Yesterday was, of course, Independence Day. I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary, just the normal streamers of flags. One church member pinned an India flag on me which was cool.

Don't have a lot else to say -- I hope everything was good and happy. If I think of anything else I'll definitely write.

With love,

Sam

No comments: