Sunday, May 05, 2013

Laura and Sam are engaged! (Part II, by Laura)

To our friends and family: Many of you know only one of us; or only part of our tale. Though we'll certainly retell this many times, we wanted to ink it out for your benefit and curiosity. For those whom we care about, and who care about us. 

This is part II, written from Laura's point of view. Here is Part I, from Sam's point of view.

Things happen -- May 2012 to present

'She...didn't comment on the romantic content.' Indeed, I did not. 

By the time I received that letter, I had only one month left in my 18-month mission, and I was soaking in every last second. (Utah was and is also amazing.) And while I was touched by the frequency and content of Sam's letters, I still didn't feel more for him than friendship.

Birthday! Orem, Utah; December 8, 2011

This changed gradually, amid a maelstrom of other emotional activity. Let me say that going from 0 to 3 prospective significant others within five days of coming home is at once flattering and bewildering. All three lived more than 2000 miles away from me. 'Dave' redirected his feelings fairly easily. But 'Fred' and Sam seemed to move in an uncanny synchrony. If one called me one day, the other called me the next. If one sent me a package with presents from South America on Thursday (Fred), the other sent me flowers on Friday (Sam). If one suggested he could come visit me in a conversation on Tuesday (Sam), the other invited me to come visit him in a conversation on Wednesday (Fred).

This was not only entertaining, it was also telling. As time passed, I began to look forward to talking with Sam, and turned down time with Fred to talk with Sam. I don't normally like flowers, and I was so happy when Sam's flowers arrived that I began to wonder whether my feelings themselves had changed. A few weeks before he came to visit, I realized they had. (I never did take the vacation with Fred.) So Sam and I started dating.

And, for me, anyway, our relationship progressed in the same even, gentle way. After a few months, I realized I loved him. And the more deeply I loved him, the more I realized that such a good thing doesn't come along every day, and I should run with it.

Time went on; we took turns visiting each other on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, met each others' parents (which went quite well), I applied to UC-Berkeley for grad school, was accepted, decided to go...and I had known for a long time that he wanted to marry me.

Viennese Ball, San Francisco, CA, 
Feb. 22, 2013
Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC,
Apr. 13, 2013

Poor Sam. Patiently waiting, and waiting, and waiting. I'm sure he felt like this was taking forever. Finally, on April Fool's Day, he came to New York for a month. And that was a good month. We enjoyed ourselves, worked through problems, and talked about the future.

Then it happened. I had shown his mom pictures of rings I like, and she had nodded kindly and asked some follow-up questions. On Tuesday, April 30, he showed me this most beautiful ring, and told me -- again -- that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, and asked me if I would marry him.

And I said 'yes'.


Jess said...

Congrats you two!!!

KODOWD88 said...

Yay! So exciting! Could not be happier for you both!!!!

Sam said...

Thanks Katie! Jess, come back, we miss you!